Department of Japanese Studies, School of Modern Languages and Cultures HKU
Murakami Fuminobu Memorial Prize in Japanese Studies
2019-20 Call for Submissions
To honor their late colleague Mr. Murakami Fuminobu (1951-2011), the Department of Japanese Studies and the School of Modern Languages and Cultures at the University of Hong Kong established the Murakami Fuminobu Memorial Prize in Japanese Studies in February 2012.
The Prize shall be awarded annually under the following regulations:
1. The Prize shall be known as “Murakami Fuminobu Memorial Prize in Japanese Studies.”
2. In keeping with Murakami Fuminobu’s lifelong devotion to the study of Japanese language, literature, thought, film, and culture, one annual award will be offered to a Japanese Studies essay, poem, or other form of expression that best exemplifies excellence in the broadly understood fields of scholarship. The submission may be written in either Japanese or English, and the winning entry will be published on the Japanese Studies website.
Submissions may include term papers, essays, original poetry, translations, projects, reportage, and film and literary criticism written for a JAPN course.
The competition will be held annually and judged by members of the Memorial Essay Prize Committee. The winner will receive the award at the SMLC Award Ceremony.
3. There shall be one prize of the value of HK$1,000 annually.
Instructions for submission
1. Complete the application form.
2. Each entry should be accompanied by a one-page introduction (in English or Japanese) presenting the significance of your submission in the context of Japanese Studies. Please write your introduction on page 2 of the application form.
3. Please submit either a hard copy of these materials to the Office of the School of Modern Languages and Cultures (5/F Run Run Shaw Tower) or preferably a soft copy via email to email@example.com by 5pm, Friday, 26 June 2020.
For soft copies, please do not submit more than two files.
One file should be your application form. Please name the file in the following format: “your_full_name_application.docx”. (eg. “chan_tai_man_application.docx)
The second file should be your essay. Please name the file in the following format: “your_full_name_essay.docx”. (eg. “chan_tai_man_essay.docx)
Do not use any Japanese characters in the name of your file.